Thursday, January 03, 2008

to douse or keep lighting

 
Posted by Picasa

We took down our indoor decorations on Saturday, but the outdoor lights will be up for a while, too dangerous to try to get them down when there's so much snow and ice on the house.

Usually I'm ready unplug the timer and douse the lights by early January, but this year I'm still enjoying the visual warmth they provide. True, it would save energy and save the life of the bulbs to turn them off, but I haven't pulled the plug on them yet.

But maybe I should take a lesson from Jackie Gleason. I learned last night that he only let the Honeymooners run one season because he didn't want to get old. Dousing the lights now may help insure that we'll enjoy them even more next year. You can't take a vacation if you have nothing to vacate.

No comments: