Wednesday, November 05, 2003

Ask Not If You Should Read with a Child

In comparison to President Kennedy's inaugural challenge in 1961, Utah Governor Olene Walker's plea today sounds simple.

Kennedy urged, "Ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country." Walker's inaugural challenge: "I call on each of you to spend the most important 20 minutes of your day reading with a child.”

Our slain president challenged us to ask a question and presumably act of the answer we find. Walker's challenge leaves us with far less wiggle room. "Nothing would improve the education quality in our state more than having every adult read with a child for 20 minutes every day."

She left no exemptions and no exceptions. Adults should read with children daily. So should I read with my three college kids? She didn't say read to them, she said read with them. Perhaps I'm going to be able to handle this challenge after all. Gotta run -- a friend's asked me to do something important tonight and I don't want to let her down.

Literacy resources:

Related resources:

No comments: