Friday, March 12, 2004

The Impossibility of Always Knowing

"Always know all that you say, but don't always say all that you know."

I don't know the author of this quotation, but I'm grateful to the friend who shared it with me. For those of us who tend to talk or write to find out what we're thinking, this is a difficult ideal, but it beats trying to un-ring a bell.

Some similar thoughts?

  • Discretion is fine but it has so many limitations. ;)
  • "Great writing. Hell I'd settle for good writing, but to warm up mediocre is OK."
  • "I don't care what you write. Just get those fingers moving. Pianists play scales don't they." (But not on their recordings, not at their concerts.)

Which reminds me of this column from my long-time friend Jerry Johnston.

So how about this great spring weather? I had the pleasure of an outdoor lunch today. There's nothing quite like good food, spring weather and a quiet conversation.

No comments: