Sunday, August 22, 2004

Quantico 1942

I've mentioned that my dad served as a Special Agent in J. Edgar Hoover's FBI. Here's the text of a letter sent to his father on February 6, 1942. He was 29 years old.

Dear Father,

Am writing this note from Quantico, Virginia at which place I have been the last few days.

Have been given some more responsibility and am doing some special training. Quanitco is about 50 miles south of Washington near the mouth of the Potomac river. This is a training center for sailors and Marines and I find it very interesting to see a little of what is going on. More and more I am impressed with what the FBI is doing for the welfare and security of the country.

I have been very busy and have had very little time to call my own. Expect to be back in Washington on Monday night and will then write you at greater length. Am looking forward to hearing from you again and trust that this finds you and Ruth and everyone at home well and happy.

Much love,

Joseph

No comments: