Wednesday, January 23, 2008

dreamcatchers

Do I own a dreamcatcher? Yes and no. No, I don't own one of these. I think there might have been one in our house at one time. So no, not in the traditional sense. But I do like the idea of catching dreams and in the realm of literally trying to bring some substance to the thoughts and images of twilight sleep, I've found a few ideas helpful.
  1. Decide it's worth your while to try. Are you dreams nonsense or is there something compelling there? How are you going to know if you don't have a way to catch and examine them?
  2. Make it as easy as possible by putting something to write on and with near your bed.
  3. Third, if it's hard to write when you're half a sleep, try using a hand-held recorder.
  4. Don't rely on what you write as your final version. As soon as possible after you fully awake, expand the note or listen to what you've said and recall other details.
  5. Persist. Like a lot of things, it's going to feel awkward at first, but stick with it a few days and you'll probably find that it gets easier.
spiral bound and not my own dreamcatchers, originally uploaded by rfin.

No comments: