Thursday, February 27, 2003

I’m going to miss Mr. Rogers. He died from cancer early today at his Pittsburgh home. Millions consider him a friend. I do too. About 20 years ago when KUED brought him to Salt Lake for a special event, I got to meet the man. So did my wife, son and daughter. He autographed postcards that the kids--now college students--still have in their scrapbooks. More importantly he took a few minutes to talk with them individually. In his actions with our little family, he said in an unmistakable way “You are special.” He believed this about all people. The work of his life shows it. A few years ago I wrote to him regarding that memorable day. He wrote back. What an incredible influence for the well being of children – and all of us.

“You are my friend. You are special to me. You are the only one like you. Like you, my friend, I like you.”
--Fred Rogers (March 20, 1928 – February 27, 2003)

Finding Comfort - a new page set up today by Family Communications, Fred Roger's production company

Found while looking for something else: Yahoo Buzz Index

Comment?

No comments: