Monday, February 24, 2003

A tech item or world news is usually number one on Daypop's Top 40. Today provided an exception with the honors going to a "persuits and retreats" essay in the online version of The Atlantic Monthly. The headline: Caring for Your Introvert.

Writer Jonathan Rauch says, “Leave an extrovert alone for two minutes and he will reach for his cell phone. In contrast, after an hour or two of being socially 'on,' we introverts need to turn off and recharge. My own formula is roughly two hours alone for every hour of socializing.”

Before reading this article I wouldn’t have labeled myself one way or the other, I’d just say, “Sometimes I’m gregarious, sometimes I’m not.” Now, given a black and white choice, I’d say have to say “introvert” – but I’m glad I live in a continuous tone, multi-colored world. At least most of the time.

A few of the many “personality” resources at UEN are: Self Exploration in ThemePark, Self-Awareness in Lesson Plans, and UVSC’s popular telecourse Psychology 1010 (starts April 28) on KULC.

“Self-revelation is a cruel process. The real picture, the real ‘you’ never emerges. Looking for it is as bewildering as trying to know how you really look. Ten different mirrors show you ten different faces.” --Shashi Deshpande

Found while looking for something else: Wireless Laptops Gain the Edge

Comment?

No comments: