Saturday, March 01, 2003

I'm getting personal with a purpose today. Personal because it's the nature of the story. And the purpose is...well I'm getting a little ahead of myself.

My friend's in a battle for his life. He's been diagnosed with multiple myeloma, a type of bone marrow cancer. The downside is that it kills most victims within a decade of diagnosis. The upside is that my friend is definitely not one to play the role of victim.

He's a "young" man in his 40s. He's strong and intelligent. He cares about people and issues. He's big guy with big voice and big heart. He's the kind of guy who sends a lot of love out into the world.

He's also got a formidable sense of humor, as you'll hear in:

Myeloma* (mp3)
[to the tune of My Sharona]

If I were a cancer cell I don't think I'd want to hang around in the bones of a guy with that kind outrage and talent.

If I could talk directly to these mutant cells I'd say, "You don't belong here. Give up the fight. Sure, this guy somehow let you sneak in. And he's been a fine host. Until now. But you're no longer welcome. Not by him. Not by his friends and family. Not by his kids. Not by his wife. We stand united on this and you're outahere!"

About his wife. She's my sister. I introduced them a few years ago, thinking they'd probably like each other. They did. And do. And will. For a long time. In short he's got a lot of live for.

So about the song -- pretty good stuff, aye? My purpose? Just to make you think? Yeah, mostly. Think about the people who are important to you, and -- to radically change musical styles here -- do what Garth Brooks urges his listeners, "...tell that someone that you love just what you're thinking of if tomorrow never comes."

"One person can make a difference. Two people can make a miracle."
--Brian Novis

p.s. If you like to cuss, cuss those dog gone cancer cells. If you're feeling generous consider a contribution to The Huntsman Cancer Institute or The International Myeloma Foundation. And if you're a praying person, put in a good word for my friend Dan Bammes.

*lyrics by Dan Bammes, vocals and musical performance and production by Robert Lund. Based on My Sharona, copyright 1979, The Knack. All rights reserved by the respective artists and companies.

Comment?

No comments: