Thursday, March 13, 2003

Freedom and Captivity

I slept better last night. I awakened more refreshed. My wife's voice sounded sweeter this morning. When I dropped my daughter off at school I said, "I love you," with more warmth. The air seems crisper, the sky a different quality of blue. Yes, it's great weather, but it's more than that.

Perhaps we're more connected than it sometimes seems. Perhaps only after we're freed, do we begin to comprehend the abuse former captors have perpetrated.

"When we let freedom ring, when we let it ring from every village and every hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God's children, black men and white men, Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and Catholics, will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old Negro spiritual, "Free at last! free at last! thank God Almighty, we are free at last!" --Martin Luther King, Jr.

Related links: Why did she not escape? - Stockholm Syndrome - Societal Stockholm Syndrome - No Safe Place: Violence Against Women, A KUED production and website including an online Teacher's Study Guide.

Found while looking for something else: Science Friday

Comment?

 

No comments: