Wednesday, March 05, 2003

QSL Cards? DXing?

A former ham remembers. But first, take my one-question exercise poll and see how your response compares with others who also drop by this blog...

Rich's
Exercise
Poll
How much do you exercise in wintertime?


Current Results

I'd passed the five word per minute code test, the written exam, and submitted all the paper work. A few weeks later I received my novice class amateur radio license from the FCC. My call was WN7MYJ -- pretty heady stuff for a kid just starting junior high. There was only one problem. I was a ham radio operator with no equipment and poor odds at getting any since my mom was paying off huge bills from the illness and death of my dad. Fortunately my cousin had more resources and I got to use his equipment a few times before the license expired a year later.

Blogging has reminded me of that early experience. One of the sub-hobbies within ham radio is DXing or seeking out distant stations. You verify that you'd heard them by collecting QSL cards. When I started this blog a few weeks ago I didn't even consider that I might have international readers. So, it's been a unexpected reward to see readers from Canada, Israel, Netherlands and the United Kingdom taking a look at the RU-Blog.

Related resources at UEN inlcude Our World which was initially a part of UEN and SLOC's partnership to develop education resources for the 2002 Winter Games.

"I feel we are all islands in a common sea.--Anne Morrow Lindbergh"

Found while looking for something else: Phil Windley's Public Service Tip #6 - Laugh at the Jester

No comments: