Sunday, January 02, 2005

Tsunami Relief Efforts

I've never felt better about making a voluntary donation to my church than today. This is what our leaders asked of us. I'm glad I could do something. True, what I gave is by itself a small amount, but placed with many thousands of others it may help provide a measure of relief to some.

I read another blog about how to make sense of this incredible destruction and loss of life. I'm not sure that any of us can do that, but we can make some sense out of our role as survivors, as part of the human family, by doing something. It may involve a contribution or something seemingly less substantial like offering a prayer, or writing or creating something in honor of those who have lost so much, so quickly. I've referred to this quotation before, but I think it particularly makes sense now:

"In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing." -Theodore Roosevelt

6.11.41

No comments: